Employers: Don't forget to claim the Employment Allowance!
With effect from 6 April 2014 most employers will be able to claim the “Employment Allowance” – this is a saving of £2,000 off your employer’s NIC bill.
However, you must actively claim this on your payroll software.
If you are using Sage Payroll software you should:
• Ensure your processing date is set to a date after 6 April 2014
• Go into the “Company” tab
• Tick the “Eligible for Employment Allowance” box in the bottom right hand corner
• Follow the wizard to completion
If you use HMRC Basic Payroll Tools you should:
• Go to the Basic PAYE Tools home page
• Select the employer from the list under the “Employer” heading
• Follow the “Change employer details” link from the right of the screen
• Scroll down to the NICs Employment Allowance field
• Select “yes” to the claim the allowance
And that is it! A one off job that you will not need to repeat each new tax year!
However, not all employers can claim the allowance. In particular you cannot claim if over half of your turnover comes from carrying out functions of a “public nature.” This includes NHS work, so GPs, pharmacists and dentists should review their turnovers carefully.
The allowance is also not available to employers with personal or domestic staff such as carers or cleaners.
If you have any doubts about this issue you should contact Victoria Bishop on 01900 603623 or email@example.com.